1. How long have you been blogging?
I created the idea for my Blog in December 2018. I fully launched my site and started writing posts in January 2019.
2. Are you a full-time blogger or do you also have another job/career?
My end goal is to become a full-time blogger. However, at the moment I am on parental leave with my son, Rylan, who was just born in February 2019. I do have a full-time job to go back to working for a car dealership, but that position is just temporary until I can find something more suitable to my qualifications.
3. What got you started into blogging?
Where do I start….as long as I can remember I have always wanted to help others and had no idea how, where to start, or what I could do. I thought about writing a book, but the fear of failure held me back. Then a friend of mine mentioned I should start a Blog! I asked, “A what???”. Needless to say I had no idea what a Blog was, how to start one, what to write about. The questions I had were endless. To be honest, I feel some still are. Anywho, I reached out to my favourite author Laura Vanderkam and asked her what Platform she used. Then my adventure began.
4. What is your blog about and how does it help others?
My blog is about helping others build healthy and strong relationships with everyone around them. Whether it’s their partner, spouse, family, friends, or kids. I also focus on helping others become the best they can be with self-improvement information, goal setting and time management tips. In addition, I am a HUGE advocate for limiting technology in our lives as I feel it can separate people who are even in the same room. This drives me crazy! So, I talk about ways to limit tech in our lives for work and home, as well as our kids.
5. What is working for you and your blog? Why?
One of my favourite things to write about it other peoples blogs. I have a Blog Review section where I reach out on Twitter asking for Blog to read. If you post your link you are agreeing to me completing a full blog review for that post, posting a review on my site and sharing the link on Twitter so everyone can read it.
I believe it is the most successful of all my pages because I don’t know too many people who don’t want to hear positive things about themselves! Plus, it’s a win-win. I don’t see too many other people do it, it brings traction to my fellow bloggers and my site!
6. What did not work out so well for your blog? Why?
Journal or Diary type entries. I feel people would rather read about how it will help them. The “what’s in it for me” aspect…and the diary type entries are not about them. I do these ones to make my blog not 100% all informational.
7. What tools, programs, apps do you use to create your blog/website (tools that you can’t live without)?
It’s interesting you ask this question. When I started blogging with WordPress, I had NO idea how much it doesn’t come with. (Maybe it’s my Theme – Dara).
* I couldn’t live without Akismet Anti-Spam. Once your blog is out there, holy spam comments. Sometimes I can’t tell what is even real or not.
* Comment Reply Email Notification – This allows me to respond to comments without spamming everyone
* Google Analytics & WP Stats – Knowing my stats are key to the area I write or focus on and what Platform to keep on top of most
* Social Warfare – Those fun, yet pesky Social Media Share buttons
* Yoast & SEO – For Search Engine results
* Canva – To create images
* Grammarly – I’m not the greatest at spelling…this helps fix some of my mistakes!
* Twitter & Pinterest – Brings the highest traffic to my blog
8. What piece of advice would you give to someone who is interested in starting a blog?
My biggest, by far the most important piece of advice. Make sure you check all Platforms for your domain name before you select. It makes finding you SO much easier when your name is consistent EVERYWHERE. I wish I had known this sooner, but I was able to get mine fairly close. Secondly, go self-hosted right away! It makes customization easier in the long run.
9. What do you have planned for the future of your website?
I get super excited thinking about where my blog is going. I plan to keep writing content relevant to my niche I’m also starting a vlog (YouTube Channel) very shortly. Waiting for nice weather to get some specific video I need. My “vlog” topics will be a little more….flair….spice topics up a bit….and overall topics that come across better when spoken. Plus, my audience will get to know who I am!
Currently, I am working on an eBook. Without giving too much away, it has to do with creating enough blog content for a year. As well,, I’m working on another “larger” eBook that will take some time. (this one is a secret) In addition, I am at the beginning stage of planning an eCourse! I also want to start a “Mama Robbins Support Coach” where people can come to me on anything I talk about and I help them deal with issues. To top it all off, I would like to monetize within the next 2 years so I can call myself a full-time blogger. Funny thing, this is just the beginning!
10. Where can everyone find you?
blog URL “Mama Robbins Series | An Undistracted Life” http://mamarobbinsseries.ca/